Sunday, November 8, 2009

Old Dogs and Cats Need Homes, Too!



Mom says that all of us will get old someday, if we live long enough.  I will just have to take her word for it because I haven't lived long enough yet to know if this is true or not.  At our house, Gabe is the oldest dog, but he doesn't act like an old dog -- well, unless his back hurts him.  I am the baby of the family, even though I got over being a puppy several years ago.  So I will be the very last one to turn into an old dog.

Maybe you have heard that saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."  I think this is mostly not true, even though, like I said, I don't have personal experience being an old dog.  What I do know for sure is that a dog of any age can learn to love a new family.  Which is also true for old cats.  I know that it's very sad and scary for a dog or cat to be homeless, and I know this because I have been homeless myself, like I told you before.  What's even sadder is when an old dog or cat is homeless.

Here is a link to a very nice article about older dogs and how they have lots of peace and dignity and stuff like that:   http://www.theweek.com/article/index/89914/The_last_word_Why_old_dogs_are_the_best_dogs   I think you would like to read this article because it's very good and true and well-written.


Anyway, now I'm going to tell you about a few older animals you might like to adopt from the Humane Society of Greater Kansas City.  The first one is a dog named Gilmore, who is a mix between a rottweiler and a German Shepherd.  Gilmore used to live chained up in his yard, but now he doesn't have to be on a chain anymore.  At the Humane Society, they said Gilmore is about 7 years old, but Mom and some of the other people there think he is probably more like 9 or 10.  Gilmore has really bad arthritis, so it's hard for him to walk, but he loves getting petting and treats.  He also has a very expressive face, as you can see.  Gilmore needs to live in a house that has soft, warm dog beds and very few stairs.


Rio is another dog who may be older than the age they originally thought she was, which is 4 or 5 years.  When she came to the Humane Society, Rio had icky-looking skin because she had demodex mange.  Now she's lots better, and her hair has mostly all grown back in.  Rio is a golden/lab mix, and she likes to go for walks and get her ears scratched.  Also she's very friendly and likes all the people she meets.


And finally, here's a cat named Michelle, who is 10 years old.  Michelle is black-and-white, like me, so that makes her really pretty, even if she is a cat and not a dog.  Cats can live to be 18 or 20, so Michelle is only middle-aged.  She would really like having a home of her very own where she can do lots of purring for many more years!

You can read more about these nice dogs and cat here:  http://www.hsgkc.org

Okay, that's all I have to say today.  Bye till tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Piper - this is "Di" writing for my mom and Dodi. Let me tell you, my brother, Dodi, is NOT happy that mom let ME be the one to write on your blog. Mom said that Dodi usually gets all the attention...not always good attention, and that "I" should be the one to be first this time. So...first I must tell you that I'm a "cat." Mom asked me to write today because of the blog's topic. When mom went to the Humane Society to pick out two cats, her intention was to get two older cats. Well...she did not mention that to Karen Sands, so of course, Karen took my mom to the kittens, and I ran out of the cage and sat on my mom's lap and her idea of older cats sort of evaporated! I'll let Dodi tell you about him being picked out another time. I'll sign off now, as mom is soooo busy getting her place ready and herself ready for tomorrow's trip to the hospital. I will say, Dodi and I are bit apprehensive as she's acting a bit "hyper" and my mom is usually not very hyper, especially on a Sunday. I hope we can be friends although I am a cat. Talk to you later.
    Di
    P.S. Uh, Oh, my mom told me to GET OFF THE COMPUTER, I had written to much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Di,
    I am sure your mom made a good choice when she picked you and Dodi to adopt. I am happy to have cats as my friends and blog readers. I realize that not everyone is lucky enough to be a dog! When your mom starts volunteering at the shelter, she can play with the older cats, and that will make them very happy.
    Your friend, Piper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piper, I just LOVE your blog and I just found out about it yesterday while I was doing research- About Spot the Springer Spaniel I hope you keep on making blogs, it's fascinating and I bet you don't find that surprising. I mean, you doesn't love your blog? Well, maybe the people you have never read it, but if they did they'll love it. Anyways,I hope you enjoy posting your blogs as much as I enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,
    Thank you for liking my blog! You are right to say that everybody who reads it should love it! hahahaha! I like writing it, so I will keep on posting new entries. I hope you keep on reading it, too.
    Sincerely, Piper

    ReplyDelete