Sunday, September 26, 2010
PUPPY MILLS! GRRRRR!
Anyway, just in case you don't know what is so terrible about puppy mills, here is a list of their bad qualities:
1. The dogs are kept in little cages that are hardly big enough to stand up in, and many times dogs have to spend their whole lives in these cages.
2. Dogs might get into fights with their cage mates and get injured.
4. There is no medical care for a dog that is sick or that has a broken leg or whatever.
5. Girl dogs start making puppies as soon as they are old enough, and they have to make puppies every time they come into heat.
6. When dogs are too old to breed anymore, they are killed, usually by smashing their heads or by shooting them.
7. Dogs may be de-barked by sticking a metal rod down their throats to destroy their vocal chords.
9. Sometimes the dogs' teeth are so bad that their jaw falls apart.
10. The dogs are usually dirty and their hair is matted.
11. The dogs don't get any petting or loving or socialization.
13. Dogs who live in kennels inside have to breathe ammonia smells from the urine, which is not good for their lungs or hearts.
14. Some dogs get so bored that they turn in circles or bark at the wall for hours.
15. Puppies are sent to pet stores when they are only 6 or 8 weeks old.
16. They are often shipped without enough food, water, air, or shelter.
18. Some of the puppies have genetic problems such as hip dysplasia because their sire and dam weren't tested before being bred.
19. Sometimes puppies have emotional problems because they weren't handled and socialized.
20. Puppies may not be purebred, even though the breeder says they are. And sometimes breeders lie about a puppy's pedigree.
Sometimes people just get way too crazy and excited about stuff when there's no reason to get that way. But like I said, I hope that Proposition B passes. It would be better to just outlaw puppy mills totally, but I guess that would be too simple. At least Proposition B should put some of the puppy mills out of business. And in the meantime, DON'T BUY PUPPIES FROM PET STORES! Because if you do, it makes puppy mill owners think they should keep making puppies! Instead, you should go to your nice, local shelter and adopt a poor, homeless dog.