Wednesday, June 29, 2011

PUGS

Lots of people like to own pugs, so you have probably seen a bunch of them around.  They have cute little smooshed faces and short legs and curly tails.  Also they have a wrinkled brow that makes them look really worried.  But I think maybe what they mostly worry about is where their next treat is coming from!

Other names for this breed are Chinese pug, Dutch bulldog, Dutch mastiff, and Mini mastiff.  In Germany and Holland, pugs are called mops; in Finland, they are mopsi; in France, carline; and in Spain, doguillo.





The pug breed is very ancient, and we know this because in China, back in the time of Confucius, there are records of a short-nosed type of dog.  The Chinese emperors and nobles took these dogs out with them when they went hunting, and the bigger dogs followed along behind the chariots.  But the smaller dogs got to actually ride in the chariots, so in my opinion, it would be better to be a small dog.

By the time of the Shang Dynasty, which was 400 years BCE, there were dogs that we would call pugs today, but in Chinese they were called Lo-Chiang-Sze.  They were mostly lap dogs, and only members of the emperor's court were allowed to own them.  One emperor, Ling To (168-190 CE) liked these dogs so much that he gave the females the same rank as his wives.  The pugs were fed only the best meat and rice, and they were guarded by soldiers.  And if anybody stole one of the dogs, that person was put to death.

The faces of pugs are kind of like the faces of the Chinese fu dogs, which are also called lion dogs.  Statues of these fu dogs were put outside temples to guard them.  Several breeds have this same look, including the Pekingese, the Tibetan Spaniel, and the Lhasa apso.  Which means they probably have a common ancestor, like maybe the pug.

Buddhist monks in Tibet also began keeping pugs, and after that, the breed became popular in Japan, and then in Europe.  William, the Prince of Orange in Holland, had several pugs, and he took them with him wherever he went.  When Holland was at war with Spain in 1572, one of Prince William's pugs saved his life by warning him that somebody was coming to try to kill him.  Later on, when the prince became King William II of England, his pugs attended the coronation, and they all wore orange ribbons.

After that, pugs became very popular in England, and and they were popular in France, too.  Joséphine, who later married Napoleon Bonaparte, had a pug named Fortune, and while Joséphine was in Les Carmes prison, Fortune carried secret messages to her family.  The Italians also loved pugs.  In 1789, a lady named Mrs. Piozzi wrote in her journal, "Every carriage I meet here has a pug in it."

British soldiers sacked the Chinese Imperial Palace in 1860, and they took a whole bunch of pugs and pekingese dogs back to England.  Black pugs arrived in England and were first exhibited in 1886.  Queen Victoria had a lot of pugs, and she bred many of them herself.  Some of her pugs were named Olga, Pedro, Minka, Fatima, and Venus.

The pugs that you see in paintings and engravings from the 18th and 19th centuries mostly have longer legs and noses than pugs today, plus some also have cropped ears.  The pugs that were imported from China after 1860 have shorter noses and legs.

Meanwhile, in the United States, there was this thing called the Civil War going on, so people had other things to think about besides importing new dog breeds.  But after the war was over, pugs began arriving in America, and the AKC recognized the breed in 1885.  The Pug Dog Club of America was founded in 1931.


Pugs are sometimes called multum in parvo, which is Latin for "a lot in a little."  And the reason they are called that is because even though they are little dogs, they have big-dog attitudes.  They can be strong-willed, but they are usually not aggressive.  They like children, and they are sturdy enough so that they don't get hurt easily when kids play with them.  Since they are always alert, they make good watchdogs, but sometimes they get a little barky.



The colors that pugs can be are fawn, apricot fawn, silver, or black.  They have stocky bodies and tails that make a tight curl over their hips.  Because of their short faces, pugs' eyes can be injured easily.  Also they may have breathing problems, and it's hard for them to keep cool by panting, which is how dogs usually cool off.







There are lots of pugs in the world, but many of them have been bred to each other, which means that pugs can have some bad genetic problems, such as hip dysplasia, encephalitis, hemivertebrae, and demodectic mange.  Also they can suffer from overheating, obesity, or pharyngeal reflex.  And if a pug's wrinkles aren't kept clean, they can get irritated or infected.






So that's pretty much all I can tell you about pugs.  Except that pug owners seem to really like to put costumes on their dogs.  I don't know if the pugs themselves like this or not.  Since they always look kind of sad, it's hard to tell!

41 comments:

  1. Pugs...what a cute breed. It's also the breed of dog my daughter would love to own. I do tell her to check out the Basenjis when she can have a dog; when she's done with apartment living. I didn't realize Pugs are such an old breed! Before I close, please ask your mom if she read the article(s) in today's paper about "non-profits/Humane Society" and the "2nd Chance Ranch." That would be a neat place to visit!!
    Love, AP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aunt Patty,
    I'm glad you liked reading about pugs, and that you learned something by reading my blog today! Mom says she doesn't think she would like to have a pug because they have so many health problems, but lots of people have pugs anyway, so I don't know what all the fuss is. Your daughter would probably like to have a pug, too.

    Mom read the article about non-profits, and she especially liked the photo of Anne and Mackie on the front page of the paper. Mackie was at the shelter when Mom first started volunteering there, but his name was Blackie then. He was very shy. Anyway, Mom did not see the article about the 2nd Chance Ranch, so I guess she was not paying attention when she was reading the paper. She might look it up online later, if she remembers.
    Love, Piper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pugs are only cute when they're puppies, I think. They remind me of angry old ladies who yell at you when you try to help them! A pug bit me once too (well, in my family, we file them under the "Evil, detestable barking ankle biters" category. Also in this category are Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers and the like. One notable exception not in this category are Scottish Terriers because they are full of AWESOME. Just don't tell the pugs that.)

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Dear Anonymous Persons,
      I deleted your comments because you were just being mean and calling people names. There are ways to disagree with someone and still be nice about it. I don't want my blog to be a place where people are just nasty to each other without even being brave enough to sign their names. The truth is that some people like pugs a lot, and other people prefer other breeds. I think we can just leave it at that.
      Sincerely, Piper

      Delete
    4. You must not have owned a pug before. Pugs are what I call a" ball of love"; they are scrumptious, cuddly, loving and adorably lazy. I can't imagine life without my pug!!

      Delete
  4. Dear Katie,
    I have met some pugs that were nice, but I don't like how they snort when they breathe sometimes, which is because their noses are so short. Mom used to think that all small dogs were barky and likely to bite, but she has met some she liked at the Humane Society, so she changed her mind. The only Scottie Mom ever knew used to growl anytime she came close to it, so she does not think of Scotties as very nice dogs, but I guess you have a different opinion of them!

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Piper,

    I think everyone has different opinions on dogs; your momma gets along well with pugs, I don't. She doesn't get along with Scotties, I do (although, I've only met two and they were at Petsmart. They were very friendly.)

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love pugs i have a pug named abie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know if pugs bark alot??
    especially at night time, (i don't want a dog to bark alot as i live in terrace house with Very Thin walls) :S i think pugs look awsomely cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had 2 pugs and neither of them were the type to "howl at the moon." My current pug, Lucy, barks only at things that scare her (i.e: vacuum cleaners and the doorbell). She does initially bark when people enter the house, but after about 20 seconds she just stops and wiggles around for their attention.

      Pugs are awesome dogs! They are nice and very comical. For example, Lucy got stuck in the bathtub today. She just jumped in and couldn't figure how to get out, but at least it makes giving her a bath easy!!

      Delete
    2. My pug is too busy sleeping in my bed to bark at night. He's so lazy, he doesn't even get up with me in the morning, as he still needs his "beauty sleep". He snores away while I get my coffee going, etc. But as soon as I get the newspaper and sit down on the couch, he's right there on my lap. I absolutely adore my pug, and can't understand why every household doesn't have one!!!

      Delete
  8. Dear Anonymous,
    I have never lived with a pug, so I don't know if they bark a lot or not. I'm sorry I can't answer your question.
    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  9. pugs are the best dogs in the world and cutest also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah they are but i feel really sad for the ones that are hurt :(

      Delete
    2. I have two pugs. they bark when the need to bark. someone comes over or they see something. I have a coonhound that barks alot more. Once you have a pug you will never have any other dog the are compainion dogs so if you dont want to have a pug at your side all the time DONT get a pug. They are just about the sweetest personality. and someone said a pug bit them above. I would guess the pug was threatened or cornered or scared by someone. Pugs are not agresive at all.

      Delete
  10. i want a pug so bad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pugs are awesome!! Some snort/snore more than others. Some of our pugs are more sensitive to noises they hear than the others- depends on the pug you get! Please consider adopting from a pug rescue organization in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breed rescue groups are great places to get dogs. I know because that's where my mom adopted me! You can also find purebred dogs in shelters, too. Just do a search on www.petfinder.com
    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://static.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/12614970_503_ul.jpg

    They don't seem to mind about costumes :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. will pugs get along with others dogs? i have a bad tempered jack ruscle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know for sure, but I think it would depend on the individual pug. If your Jack Russell doesn't like any other dogs, then he probably wouldn't get along with a pug. The best way to tell if dogs will get along with each other is to introduce them (on leash) and see how they react to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a pug and it is 2 years old but it has no wrinkles. I saw this other pug who was one year old and it had so many wrinkles. Am I not feeding my pug enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pugs get 1/3 cup 2x a day of pro plan they are healthy and not fat they get treats that I break into small bits as a pug will eat 24/7 if you let them

      Delete
  17. My pug is 5 months old and has a dark hairless belly. I don't think it's normal. What do i do? Change his food? Take him to the vet? What? Please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as a dog, I hate going to the vet's office, but my mom said to tell you that if you think there is something strange going on with your dog, you should have it checked out. If it turns out that nothing is wrong, at least you will feel better!

      Sincerely, Piper

      Delete
  18. I have a pug named Lock and I love him....he is really crazy. And a lot of fun. My sister own his brother and whenever they are together, all they do is play until they get tired of each other.they then take a break for about ten minutes and then they are right back at it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a black pug named Cooper. He is absolutely the best little guy. He snorts, he loves all his teddies, plays happily with our older german shepherd. To the barking question someone asked...Cooper barks at loud deep noises (men with deep voices on TV) and dogs barking outside. He sleeps at night , no noise, very quiet..used to sleep in his crate now on my son's bed. We all love our little pug

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've owned numerous high end breeds over the years from big to small and I have to say by far the Pug breed is the best family dog for an inside dog! These little things have the best temperment, mine are not food agressive, they LOVE EVERYONE! I now have 4 and I don't know what I would do without them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pugs are the best breed you'll ever own. I'd never own another type of dog ever again. And the people that say they don't like them are just uneducated about them. How sad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have four pugs, pugsley who is 12, otis-james who is 6, and cheeto and chloe-bell who are almost two and are brother and sister. I don't know what I would do without my pugs, they are very, very important to me. they are very sweet and sweet natured and I can't imagine them hurting a child or anyone for that matter. my little 23 month old grandson has been around mine every day since he was born and when he comes in every day, they all just get so excited to see him and want his attention. they are very lovable, loyal and precious. anyone who doesn't think they like a pug is just not familiar with them. when I'm on the couch, they are too. when I go to bed, they do too and sleep in bed with me and my husband

    ReplyDelete
  23. I currently have a male pug named Chasser. He is 4yrs old. Favorite words he loves to hear are ride,walk and food. Before him was Caesar and he was with me for 12 yrs. Caesar enjoyed car rides and long walks. These little creaturs are adorable and all they want is to be loved. I cant imagine my life without my puppy. I rescued both my pugs from shelters. Best thing I ever done

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's it! I'm getting a pug. I was actually thinking of getting a Pit Bull but was kinda worried that it might be dangerous for the kids because they're a bit territorial so I'll go for the Pug.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We have three pugs. One fawn female- Maggie - She is the "Diva" & Wooo Wooo Wooo`s to get her own way. I have a fawn male- Otis - He`s just nuts! All he wants is food & attention. We think the family that gave him up, made him compete for food with a large Boxer they had. I heard that this was their entertainment. You could actualy see this dog`s ribs through his skin when the old owner dragged him out of their car using a "choker" chain. I felt like going off on that man. He`s been with us for about 6 months now & he gets plenty of food & love. You sure can`t see his ribs anymore. The last of the three is my black male- Rocky - He is my "Velcro" pug. He follows me around all the time & beats on the bathroom or bedroom door when he can`t get in. His old owner decided to get married to a "neatnick" who could not stand pet hair,dust etc. When we went to get him, Rocky was being kept in a medium sized cage in an unused room in these peoples very large home. He was like a prisoner in that he only got out three times a day, on a leash to a corner of the large yard to go potty. He was never allowed to be loose in the house. In our home the only one who has no room now is me, as they all sleep with me. The point is, make sure that a pug (or any pet) is what you really want.Once you get one you are responsible for another life for the rest of it`s life. They are not disposable, like an old soda bottle. There`s a pet poem you can search for with the title of "I am a "forever" dog, not a "Until" dog" that sums it up pretty well. If you feel you can find room in your home to be owned by one of these wonderful dogs, there won`t be a day that goes by that you won`t smile or laugh, no matter how crappy your personal problems get.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete