Saturday, June 11, 2011

ROUNDWORMS AND HOOKWORMS AND WHIPWORMS, OH MY!

I already told you about tapeworms and heartworms in my blog, and today I'm going to tell you about three more kinds of nasty worms that get inside of dogs and other animals.  Even humans can get these worms, so everybody needs to learn about them.


Sadly, puppies and kittens are often born with worms already inside them, because they get the worms from their mothers.  And if they don't get the worms before they are born, they can get them through their mom's milk.  This is why puppies and kittens usually have to be de-wormed several times while they are still young.

Roundworms are the most common kind of worm for dogs to have.  You can get them by eating a small animal such as a mouse that has worms, or by eating poop with roundworm larvae in it.  Or you can be born with roundworms, like I already said.


When the roundworms get to be adults, they like to live in your intestines.  The worms can be 6 or 7 inches long, and they look sort of like spaghetti.  Sometimes they come out in your poop or you can puke them up, but mostly they just hang out in your small intestines and eat the tissue and fluids there.  If you have too many roundworms, they can make you lose weight, have hair that looks dull, and get a pot belly.  If the worms get into your lungs, they can make you cough.  Puppies can actually die from having too many roundworms, but older dogs don't usually die from having them.

Roundworm head
The way to find out if you have roundworms is to have your veterinarian look at your poop under a microscope.  If there are roundworm eggs in the poop sample, then you will have to take some kind of de-worming medicine.

People can get roundworms if they have dirt or poop on their hands that has larvae in it.  This happens more often with children than with adults because children like to play in the dirt, and they might forget to wash their hands before they stick them in their mouths.  In humans, the roundworm larvae don't turn into adult worms, but the larvae get into several parts of the body and make them inflamed, which doesn't feel very good.

Hookworms are really nasty because the larvae can bore right into your body through your skin, which makes an itchy place where they went in.  The adult worms have teeth that are like hooks, and they grab onto the inside of your guts, where they sit around eating your blood and tissues.  This makes you feel yucky, and you also have diarrhea with blood in it, and then you get anemic because you don't have enough red blood cells.


These worms are easy to get, and they are especially bad for puppies and kittens because they gobble up your blood and protein, so you feel tired and you don't grow very much.  And if you don't get any medicine to kill the worms, you can get congestive heart failure and die.

Hookworm head
Humans can get hookworms just from walking around barefooted where there are larvae.  Or they can also get hookworms when infected dirt gets in their mouths.

Hookworm larvae migration.  Ewwww!

The last icky worm I'm going to talk about today is the whipworm.  These worms got their name because they are shaped kind of like whips.  If you have whipworms in your yard, it's really hard to get rid of them because their eggs lie around for a long time, maybe for years, and even cold weather doesn't kill them.


A dog can get whipworms by eating some dirt or poop that has eggs in it.  Then the eggs hatch in the large intestine, and the larvae grow up to be adult worms.  Whipworms use their mouths like little spears to cut the inside of your intestine and eat the blood and yummy fluids.


If you get a lot of whipworms, they can make you very sick.  You can get anemic and dehydrated, and you can also have bloody diarrhea.  Plus you might lose weight because you don't feel like eating.  Whipworms only make small numbers of eggs, and they don't make them regularly, so sometimes the vet has to look at your poop several times before being sure that you have these worms.  That is why if a dog has diarrhea all the time, he is usually treated for whipworms, even if it's not proven that he really has them.


Well, that's more than enough about this yucky subject.  The main things that you should learn from what I said are to keep your yard cleaned up so there isn't a lot of poop lying around.  And if you are playing in the dirt, you should always wash your hands really well before you put your hands in your mouth.

48 comments:

  1. UGH! I would never want whip worms- no one does- I think.

    -Tas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 6 month old puppy just passed from complications from whip worm .. very serious worm.. dog was tested and treated but was to late

      Delete
    2. Oh, this is very sad! I am so sorry about your puppy. I hope you will get another puppy at some point, when you are ready. There are so many out there who need loving homes.

      Delete
    3. I am so sorry about your puppy now I know to take care of my animals and me

      Delete
    4. Very,very sorry.��

      Delete
  2. I have had hookworms and tapeworms and coccidia, and I can say that it isn't much fun to have any of these parasite thingies, so I don't recommend it!

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a good text, and nice piktures:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anyway to prevent my dog from getting these. I take him to the park a lot and don't want to stop taking him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some of the heartworm preventives also work for other types of parasites. You can ask your vet what he or she recommends. Also if your dog goes to the dog park a lot, you can get his poop checked 2 or 3 times a year and then treat for worms if there are any.

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, my 9 month old puppy just left a little poop in a corner of my apartment....there was a purplish-pink worm wriggling around inside it. @_@ I don't know what type of worm it was, but holy spit was I scared! I hope she will be ok....I need to take her to the vet tomorrow; I hope she will be ok :,(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewww! Wiggly worms sound yucky! Your vet will be able to figure out what kind of worms your puppy has. There are lots of good de-worming medicines available. I know, because I have taken several of them! Hahahaha!

      Piper

      Delete
  7. South Texas Gal!June 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

    Thanks for all the pictures and information. I have a 5 month old Great Dane that threw up the roundworms. I had dewormed her once but was not told to follow up in 3 weeks so probably the eggs hatched. So she is doing her treatment and also started her up in heartworm prevention, Doc said that would prevent other parasites as well. Will deworm my other pets just in case. Maybe I should take a pill also, what do you think? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear South Texas Gal,

      I was born in Houston, so I used to be a South Texas Gal, too! But then my mom adopted me and I came way up north to live with her in Missouri.

      Anyway, about the worms, I think you probably don't need to take any de-wormer stuff yourself unless your dogs have hookworms, and you have been going barefoot in your yard. Or if you always forget to wash your hands after you have been handling poop, then you might get some worms on your food or in your mouth. But if you have been using good sanitation, then you probably won't get worms. At least that is my opinion.

      Sincerely, Piper

      Delete
  8. I do not like the foot pic ;3 is that ur foot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not my foot, and it's not my mom's foot either. I think it looks really creepy, though!

      Delete
  9. My parents came to visit over the holidays and just rescued a dog a month ago and they found 2 days after leaving my house that the dog has whip, round, and hook worms. They were here for 10 days and I have a 5 month old baby that was around the dog a lot playing with him laying with him and I am sure he kissed her face. Should I be worried that my daughter will be infected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should maybe talk to your pediatrician and see what he or she recommends. I don't want to give you medical advice and then get sued because I told you the wrong thing. I am just a dog, so I can't really afford to pay for a lawyer, unless I could get Snoopy to represent me!

      I hope your daughter didn't get any worms!

      Sincerely, Piper

      Delete
  10. I hav a question..a friend of mine lives on the second floor of the apt. She has a 2 month old puppy...it poops on her carpet..n she has stepped on the dogs poop...barefoot....is there any cause on that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think your friend needs to worry. Most puppies have worms, but they are de-wormed before they are adopted from shelters or rescue groups. If your friend's puppy has not had shots or been de-wormed, then this ought to be done right away. But just stepping briefly in some poop shouldn't cause your friends to get worms. At least that's my opinion!

      Delete
  11. Heartworm is a parasitic disease that can affect any dog regardless of age, sex or habitat.Click here for more information and treatments for roundworms

    ReplyDelete
  12. Drink warm teas that contain spices such as cardamom, cinnamon & clove is quite effective for treating parasites/roundworm infections. There are several medication like stromectol that kill sensitive parasites, are the primary treatment for parasites/roundworm infections.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dog had what looked as spaghetti coming from her when she went to the bathroom . What kinda worm would this be an what can I do to get rid of them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like roundworms to me, unless they were flat and segmented, in which case they are probably tapeworms. Take a fecal sample to your vet to find out for sure what kind of worms your dog has. The vet will give you some kind of de-wormer for her.

      Delete
  14. I just threw up and there were these worm shaped objects moving and floating around in my vomit. I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I've been sick for over four days and I haven't thrown up since the first day. I'm scared.. ;-; what if I die? I can't leave my family! Agh!!! Help me. ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds yucky and like it might be serious. You should go see your veterinarian right away to get some medicine! I hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  15. Well, I saw the doctors. It's been nine days as of now. ._. I just hope I get better really soon. I haven't thrown up though. I guess that's good, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not throwing up is always good, at least in my opinion. I hope you are all well very, very soon!

      Delete
    2. I already said this, but...here goes again. I have been self-treating hook worm in my foot for almost a week now and you are so right, it is very nasty. Have a cure if anyone is interested.. And as I also said, mine entered my foot via some very tiny mosquitos. Apparently they carry the worm eggs.

      Delete
    3. And, yes, I do have dogs but the problem is more to do witth the season, early autumn here, as I have been barefoot here all summer without problems.



      Delete
    4. Oh, and thank-you for your your foot-pic cause it is exactly right. Mine exactly. Symbiosis, in my case between mosquito, worm and protective fungus.

      Delete
    5. Dear Astrid,
      I am so sorry to hear about your having hook worm. And I'm sorry your feet look like the picture in my blog. I hope your treatment will cure the problem very soon.
      Sincerely, Dorrie

      Delete
  16. Help me plz. I dont have money until next week to take my 5 month old puppy to vet. When i got her over a month ago she was nice and playful and chunky. The last few days she wont eat only drinks water. So i looked up on line that it may be she is invested with worms. My son and i saw spaghetti looking worms in stool. So last night i got some round worm dewormer ... wwhen will she look and feel better. Especially eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing would be to take her to the vet, but giving her the dewormer should help, assuming the worms are the only problem. If she was kind of pot-bellied before she stopped eating, that can also be a sign of worms. I don't know how long the dewormer takes to work -- maybe several days. I hope your pup is feeling better soon!

      Delete
  17. My dog was diagnosed with whip and round worms 4 days ago she was treated but she has not eaten a bite of food and can't keep even water down she is now at the vet on iv they have checked for a blockage but it was clear the vet says he is baffled and doesn't know what's wrong any suggestions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could suggest what might be wrong with your dog, but unfortunately I can't. Your vet would be the best person to do that, and it sounds like he is working hard to solve your dog's problem. I hope your dog is feeling much better very soon!

      Delete
    2. This happened to a whole litter of puppies for us unfortunately. They were happy and healthy almost ready to find their forever homes we de-wormed them. Then they all started getting sick one after the other except for one puppy. We lost half the litter only saved the other half by a miracle. It was awful. Never figured out why or what happened. We used same de-wormer we have many times before and followed the dosage I have never seen anything like it.

      Delete
    3. This is a very sad story! I'm glad some of the puppies survived, at least. I wonder if they actually had parvo or some other disease, and you just happened to deworm them at the same time. Just a thought, and it might be totally wrong.

      Delete
  18. I just got a dog and she is 8 years old. She may be pregnant and she has worms. I am going to treat her for worms. I was wanting to know if she could pass on the worms to her unborn pups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not totally sure, but I believe that some types of worms, such as roundworms, can be passed from the mother to the pups. Most shelters routinely give dewormer to puppies and kittens, just for that reason. You should check with your vet to find out how old the puppies need to be before they start a course of deworming.

      Delete
  19. What breed is the white dog that is cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
  20. My lab-chow mix puppy has hookworms, and they won't go away. My mom cleaned his bedding...and found a bunch of worms on it!!!! We took him to the vet and we've been giving him medicine,but he still has some! What could I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are finding actual worms lying around, they may be roundworms or tape worms, not hook worms. This means that you may need to give your puppy a different type of dewormer to get rid of them. If you can take some of the worms you find to your vet, that would be the best thing to do. Note: this is not meant as a medical diagnosis, because I do not have any actual medical training, just some real-life experience!

      Delete
  21. Garlic is one of the best home remedies for worms in dogs. More Info: https://goo.gl/I4RlLU

    ReplyDelete