Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A FINE DOGGY POEM THAT I WROTE MYSELF

Recently, Mom showed me a poem that was written by a famous poet named Robert Frost.  This poem is called Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.  It is one of Mom's favorite poems, and she said maybe I could write one sort of like it.  Well, I thought the poem was pretty good, but it doesn't have any dogs in it, only a horse.  Also it is about snow, which I don't want to think about, since it will be here soon enough.  So I decided I could make Mr. Frost's poem quite a bit better by writing it from a dog's point of view.  But I do want to thank him for providing me with such nice poetic inspiration.






PROWLING THROUGH TOWN 
ON A SUMMER EVENING

Whose bone this is I think I know.
He does not guard it closely, though,
And will not see me sneak away,
My juicy, stolen loot to stow.

And thus, with bone in mouth, I race,
Right to my favorite hiding place.
I dig a hole that’s nice and deep,
Then shake the dirt clods off my face.

My bone is safe there; it will keep,
While off to find more treats I leap,
With miles to go before I sleep,
With miles to go before I sleep.

5 comments:

  1. That's so cool, Piper! Your a poet and we didn't even know it. We like your poem very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, gee, thanks! I'm blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Piper --- you are a real poet!! Mom and I were trying to think up a poem too...but it didn't work out to well. I think you should submit it to the White House, and then when there's a big celebration, like the next presidential inauguration, you could recite it. That would be super cool. Even if you don’t we all enjoyed the poem.
    Love, Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Di,
    Writing poetry is hard work -- at least that's what I found out when I wrote this poem! If Mr. Obama gets elected again, maybe I will send him my poem, but I think I might be too shy to read it in front of thousands of people at an inauguration! Also I am too short to reach the microphone.
    Love, Piper

    ReplyDelete