Monday, January 23, 2012

THE YEAR OF THE DRAGON

The Dragon is the fifth animal in the Chinese zodiac, and it is the only sign that is not a real animal.  It is also the most powerful symbol because a dragon is made up of parts of other animals such as the tiger, fish, snake, and eagle.  The Chinese do not see the dragon as scary and evil, like people in Western cultures do.  Instead, they see the dragon as a wise, powerful, and superior ruler.

My mom was born in a Water Dragon year, which is what 2012 is also, so this is supposed to be a very lucky year for her.  But actually, it turns out that this year could be a lucky one for most everybody.  It's a year when a lot of things in your life could change, and it's a good time for new beginnings.  You could start a business, make some smart investments, and earn a bunch of money.  Just be sure to save some of that money and not spend it all, like a Dragon person might do.  Oh, and if you want to get married, this year would be an excellent time to do that.


In the Chinese calendar, today is the start of the year 4709.  This number is counted from when the Yellow King became the king of China in 2697 B.C.E.  The Yellow King was the very first king of China, and he is not the same as the first emperor of China, who was somebody different.

This is a little bit confusing, but here is something that is even more confusing.  The Chinese New Year, which is today, is not really the beginning of the Year of the Dragon.  That's because the Year of the Dragon begins on the Start of Spring, which will be on February 4, 2012.  The Start of Spring is the first day of the Tiger month, which is the first month of the year in the Chinese Fortune-Telling Calendar system.  So, are you confused yet?  I am.  Which is why I decided to just go ahead and talk about the Year of the Dragon anyway, even if it doesn't officially start until February 4.



Okay, now I will tell you about people who were born in a Dragon year.  Since the Dragon is such a powerful symbol, Dragon-year people can be dominant and ambitious.  They are also smart and talented.  They like challenges, and they aren't afraid to take risks.  Dragon people prefer doing things by themselves, in their own way, and they are often successful.  They can have tempers that are quick and fiery, like a dragon, and they might use their sharp dragon-tongues to say things that are sarcastic and biting.






But underneath, dragons have a soft belly, and that means Dragon people have a "soft spot" for those in need.  They like to help others out, but Dragon people don't like to ask for help for themselves.  They are loyal friends and they will do anything to protect the people they love.  The Dragon is a hard worker and is usually lucky.  He is charismatic and gets lots of attention.  A Dragon person is also proud, enthusiastic, and passionate about life.

People who were born in Water Dragon years are calmer than regular Dragon-year people because water calms fire.  They can see things from someone else's point of view, and they don't always think all their own opinions are the right ones.  It seems like this would mean that Mom would see more stuff from my point of view and let me have more things that I ask her for, but it doesn't really work that way, so this part about Water Dragons may not be very true.


The way the dragon got started being so important to the Chinese was like this:  more than 4,000 years ago, there were two big tribes in China, plus a bunch of smaller tribes.  Each tribe had an animal symbol.  The two large tribes joined together, and they chose the dragon for their symbol.  The Han Chinese, which is the biggest ethnic group in China, still call themselves the descendants of the dragon.

So anyway, I want to wish everybody a lot of good luck in the Year of the Dragon.  It could be a very good year for you, but don't do any of those bad Dragon things such as spending your money as fast as you make it or losing your temper a lot!

9 comments:

  1. LOVED this post. In fact, I think I will copy it over to a document so I can keep it forever, if it's ok with you?!! Hmmm just realized your mom and I were born in the same month of the same year! Being an Aries...I've always known I was more a "sheep" than a "ram" so think the water dragon might work for me!! Also - people must be coming to appreciate the Chinese culture more; I've had more messages and postings about the Chinese New Year than ever before!! Thanks for the blog!!
    Love, AP
    P.S. Please tell your mom I might see her this Wed, I'm taking Dodi/Di to the Humane Society for shots...and I will have her paged if we are there at the same time. Well...if the mean women at the receptionist area will do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me again: thought I'd mention something I just read and I'm sure your mom will be SHOCKED by it too. I was browsing the internet and saw a list of "celebrities" born under the "Year of the Dragon"....your mom and I weren't mentioned. Imagine that!! LOL!!
    Love, AP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Aunt Patty,
    Thank you for liking my post about the Year of the Dragon. You are very welcome to copy it into a document or whatever. I find it hard to believe that Mom's name and yours weren't on the list of celebrities born in Dragon Years. I'm not sure how this horrible mistake was made.

    Mom said she will be at the shelter Wednesday because she has to take Hallie and Hamlet to get rabies shots. Also Hamlet is getting a urinalysis. So Mom will mostly be in the clinic area, but if she knows when you are coming, she can look for you. And she can leave a message with the "mean women" at the front desk about where to find her. Mom thinks the mean women are pretty nice, but maybe they are just nice to her because she is on the board. Hahahaha!

    Love, Piper

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I wasn't on any of those "celebrity" Dragon lists either and I'm a Water Dragon and Aries, too! So, I must assume those lists were pretty bogus. I certainly hope this Chinese astrology thing is accurate, 'cuz i sure could use some of that good luch and great fortune stuff now.

    Piper, you are a great blogger and I enjoy reading you so much. Please tell your Mom "Hi" for me, OK?

    Ginny (from BSuvivors)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Aunt Ginny,
    I think we will have to make them rewrite the celebrity lists of Dragon people because they left a whole lot of important people off! But anyway, I'm glad you like reading my blog, and I will tell my mom "hi" for you. Nicky says to say "ah-oooo" to Howler!
    Love, Piper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piper - please excuse my using your blog to pass notes to your mom...if you dont mind, let her know I plan on being at the Humane Society around 10-10:30am tomorrow. Also...YES...I would say your mom being a "board member" has lots to do with the friendly (gag) receptionist(s)! :) There's always the chance when I am there they are too busy or not having a good day...
    Love, AP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aunt Patty,
      My mom said she will try to get to the shelter by 10:30, but it might be more like 11:00. If she would not stay up so late at night and then sleep late in the morning, she could get to places earlier. Hahaha! I think the receptionists must have been feeling overworked and underpaid when you were at the shelter. They have been told to smile and act friendly, but maybe they forget sometimes.
      Love, Piper

      Delete
    2. Well...here I again Piper; might be a change of plans regarding Dodi/Di and I being at the Humane Society on Wed. I will try...depends how the ear-ache is. :( ugh!!
      Love, AP

      Delete
    3. Earache? Ouch! Well, if you get there, maybe Mom will see you.

      Delete