Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PIPER IS IN THE HOSPITAL! by Mel the Dog

Mom said I would have to write the blog for today because someone has to do it, and Piper is in the doggy hospital, where she does not have internet access.  I would rather take a nap, but since Mom needs me to do this, I will try to help her out.

There are a couple of things wrong with Piper  that made her end up having to spend the night at the hospital.  The first thing is that when her latest blood test results came back yesterday, they showed that Piper has a high potassium level.  Dr. Patricia said this could mean that Piper's medicine dose for Cushing's Disease is too high.  The internist raised the amount recently because the last cortisol test showed that Piper's medicine was too low.  But if the dose gets too high, it will make Piper be Addisonian instead of Cushingoid.

The other reason Piper is in the hospital is because she might have a blockage in her stomach.  Dr. Patricia took an x-ray, and it showed that Piper's stomach is distended, even though she didn't eat a meal recently.  As you already know from reading Piper's May 5 blog entry, she ate a bunch of bad stuff out of the litter box.  (Well, I personally don't think it's so bad, but Mom does.)  Also, Piper ate some of her blanket.  Anyway, if all of these items are still inside Piper, and if they don't come out on their own, Piper will have to have surgery.

So that's why Piper is in the hospital.  Mom had to take her there late yesterday afternoon, at exactly the time when she was supposed to be at home, feeding us supper.  At the doggy hospital, they made an estimate of how much money it would cost to take care of Piper last night and today, including doing an ultrasound.  That estimate came to about $1,100.  Mom was not happy, to say the least.  I just hope she has enough money left to buy dog food next time we run out!

8 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Mel, Piper and Mom! sending healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunt Debbie. I'm home now, but I' still feeling kind of yucky.
      Your friend, Piper

      Delete
  2. Oh, no, we at this house are pulling for you Piper!

    --zest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zest!
      Mom rescued me from the doggy hospital this afternoon. I managed to fool the doctor and make her think I was all better. Then I came home and had diarrhea in the back yard. Mom did not want to take me back over there, so we are just waiting to see what will happen.
      Your friend, Piper

      Delete
  3. What happened to the greyhound Eva? I haven't been following like I did before Dannii crossed. Nikki was the name, wasn't it?

    Pulling for Piper......hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Aunt Marti,
    My brother Nicky had to go to the Rainbow Bridge in February. Barry bit him, and he had a bad reaction to that, but he had a bunch of other stuff going on, too. He might have even had a brain tumor or something else wrong inside his head because he was always turning in circles. You can read about Barry and Nicky in my February blog entries.
    Love, Piper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're home. It's just awful being in the doggy dr's office. Like i told you earlier, they don't even know that basenjis have to sleep in real beds with humans! And think dogs need to be poked with needles. At this house, they convinced mom that my brother Digital the brindlewonderkid has to be poked with needles every day. Mom says he needs more fluids, which I'm not sure about because the pees - a LOT. But he gets really good cookies for being poked, which I don't think is fair because I have to watch him being poked and I don't get any cookies for that.

    anyway, welcome home!

    --Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I don't have to be poked with needles every day. That would be AWFUL! And Mom is glad she doesn't have to poke me because she doesn't want me to hate her!

      Delete