Friday, May 10, 2013

PIPER'S SURGERY, by Piper's mom

Piper had an ultrasound yesterday which showed some inflammation and loopiness in her intestines, plus a possible blockage in her stomach.  The internist gave me the following choices of treatment:

1) Keep Piper under observation at the clinic, giving her IV fluids, and wait to see if things would improve.

2) Do an endoscopy to try to figure out what was happening in the stomach.  This might or might not show the true state of affairs, and it might have to be followed up by surgery.

3)  Operate to look at everything and remove anything that was creating a blockage.


I chose option #3, even though it was the most expensive and invasive.  I really wanted to know what was going on and get it taken care of, once and for all.  Besides which, I am always looking for new and exciting ways to run up huge vet bills.  Hahahaha!

The result of the surgery was that some small pieces of fabric were removed from Piper's stomach.  Evidently, none had passed on through to block the intestines.  Biopsies were taken from the stomach and intestines.  Piper should be able to come home this evening.

I hope the next blog entry will be written by Piper herself, and not by her Chief Research Assistant.

8 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to Piper's speedy recovery. And no more eating blankets!

    --Zest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poor baby Piper! Get well soon little baby!

    No more eatin' human fabric! It just tastes bad and doesn't digest well!

    Zena sends Greenies, which are GOOD FOR DOGS. (Get addicted to those.)

    -Katie and Zena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Katie and Zena,
      I really like Greenies, and if I had them to eat all the time, maybe I wouldn't have to chew on blankets to entertain myself and fill my stomach. Mom brought me home from the hospital tonight, and she says I am not allowed to eat anything besides dog food or to lick my stitches. Mom is always trying to take all the fun out of my life!
      Your friend, Piper

      Delete
    2. Poor Piper! Zena loves her Greenies. If she has no Greenies, she gets mad! O hope you get Greenies soon!

      Delete
  3. dear piper-

    we are glad that you are home (again) now. Perhaps your mom needs to look into some dog-appropriate chewies and feed you more so that you won't eat your blankies.

    --Zest! superstar of something or other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zest,

      Mom used to provide us dogs with good things to chew, such as bully sticks and greenies and stuff. But then she found out that certain dogs, such as Barry and Gabe, were allergic to beef and chicken and lamb and pretty much every other good thing that you could chew on. Sometimes Mom gives us Nylabones, but she always gave us the "durable" ones because otherwise Barry would chew off big chunks and swallow them. Now that Barry's not here, Mom is trying to give Mel and me some different chewy things. I still think there is something very satisfying about ripping up cloth, though. But your idea about getting fed more is pretty good. Maybe I will suggest that to Mom.

      Your friend, Piper

      Delete
  4. we have some "egg baby" toys that have a "momma" with a velcro tummy. inside the tummy there are eggs. maybe that would satisfy your urge to tear fabric without having to eat the fabric. i just like the eggs. they are fun to chase and give back to my mom in exchange for a cookie. (she's mostly well-trained).

    --Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell my mom to look into getting some of these "egg baby" toys because they sound interesting. I wonder if the cats would just chase the eggs under the furniture, though, and lose them. It's a tough life, living with cats.

      You friend, Piper

      Delete