Thursday, September 19, 2013

OUR NEW FOSTER KITTEN!

Guess what!  Mom brought us a whole new foster kitten yesterday, and this kitten is a tortoiseshell.  Did you know that cats with tortoiseshell markings are always females?  And so are calico cats.  I don't know why.  It has to do with genetics, which is a very complicated subject, so I'm not going to get into it.


Anyway, Mom decided to name this kitten "Nebula."  A real nebula is a bunch of gases out in space, and they look really pretty in the photos.  Our little Nebula isn't quite as colorful as the nebulas in outer space, but she is still very cute.

Tarantula Nebula
Image credits: ESA / NASAESO and Danny LaCrue

The way we got Nebula was that on Monday, Nurse Debbie called from Dr. Patricia's office, and she told Mom that a nice lady had found this kitten as a stray, but she couldn't keep the kitten because the lady already had a ton of other cats.  Sadly, the little torti kitten had got hurt somehow and couldn't walk very well.  The lady offered $500 for the kitten's medical care, if some rescue group could take her in.

When Mom heard about the $500, her ears perked up right away, and she said she could probably foster the kitten.  She told Nurse Debbie to go ahead and test the kitten for FIV and Feline Leukemia.  Meanwhile, Mom called Aunt Tania to see if it was okay to take in the kitten.  Aunt Tania said it was fine, if Mom could foster her.


So anyway, little Nebula got x-rayed on Monday, and then the radiologist looked at the x-rays and said that Nebula's left hip was broken where it attaches to the pelvis.  The radiologist prescribed 3 weeks of cage rest for Nebula, which isn't all that long.  Sometimes animals with broken bones have to wait 6 or 8 weeks to get healed up.  Nebula might always have a little limp, but she should be able to walk okay. Also, she might need surgery later on, when she is a grown-up cat.  Or she might not need it at all.  Here's a really short video that shows how much trouble Nebula has trying to walk.


While Nebula was at Dr. Patricia's, she got treated for fleas, ear mites, and parasites.  Also she got a distemper shot.  When Mom brought Nebula home yesterday, she gave her a bath first thing because Nebula had a lot of stinky poop stuck to her butt.  Plus she was just dirty all over.  Mom put shampoo on her twice, and the dirt just kept running off.  Then the dirt started looking like watery blood, and Mom got really worried until she realized she was just seeing flea dirt, which is made out of blood because fleas suck your blood.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that Nebula only has half a tail.  We don't know if the rest of it got knocked off when she broke her hip, or whether she was just born with a short tail.  Anyway, after she can walk around better and can hold her tail up, I think she will look very jaunty.


Nebula is living in the big crate in the middle of the kitten room.  She eats fast, like she hasn't had any food for weeks.  Mom says she will start putting on more weight soon.  Right now Nebula weighs between 2 and 3 pounds.  Mom thought this meant she was maybe 9 or 10 weeks old, but Dr. Patricia says she's more like 8 or 10 months old!  This would make her the oldest kitten in our house, even though she's only a little bit bigger than Chief (who, by the way, got neutered Tuesday).

Well, that's all I can tell you about Nebula right now except that I really wish I could find a way to get into her crate and eat some of her yummy cat food!


7 comments:

  1. you are sooooo lucky, my mom never brings me any cook toys like kittens. And the good toys (not as good as a kitten) she does buy for me, I have to do agility stuff to get to play with them.

    --Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, should be cool toys, not cook toys.

    -Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell your mom I said this, but I think she can be kind of mean sometimes. You should not have to work for your food or toys. It should be your right to have those just because your are a cute and talented basenji. At least that's my opinion.

      Your friend, PIper

      Delete
    2. See, that's what **I** think too. And i'm very good to my mom. I let her sleep in my bed, I help her clean the dishes, I chase the flies in the house, I keep the dog yard and the agility yard free of bunnies, I go places with her looking cute and making lots of new friends, but still, I have to do more stuff for food and good toys.

      --Z!

      Delete
    3. Well, if you want a kitten of your very own, I can mail Chief to you. He's kind of skittish and he would be fun to chase around the house if have enough energy, which I don't. Or I can get you a different kitten. We seem to have an endless supply of them here!

      Oh, and I meant to ask if you had any of those floods like I heard about in Colorado. Did your house wash away, and did you have to rescue your mom and dad from drowning?

      Your friend, Piper

      Delete
    4. Should I expect Chief via the US post or Fed Ex?

      We did not have any flooding here. There were some big puddles in the driveway (we have a really long driveway), so that was kind of good because mom didn't make do heeling exercises down to the mailbox because she didn't want either of us to get our feet that wet.

      --Z

      Delete
    5. I think I will send Chief by Fed Ex or UPS, whichever is cheaper.

      We had 2" of rain here last week, so I know about puddles and wet grass. I was forced to pee in the house a couple of times, which did not make Mom happy!

      Piper

      Delete