Thursday, November 21, 2013

BOMBAY CATS


Bombay cats are always black.  They are never any other color except black.  So if anybody tells you they have a white Bombay cat, you will know that they are lying to you.  The reason why Bombay cats are black is because the whole idea behind developing the breed was to make cats like Burmese cats, except black.  Bombays are supposed to be little "parlor panthers" with copper or gold eyes, like the panthers of India, only smaller.







The person who invented the Bombay breed was Nikki Horner.  In the late 1950s, Ms. Horner set out to make a Burmese-type cat that was black.  She crossed a Burmese with a black American Shorthair, and then she keep trying different matches until she finally got the type of cat she wanted.






But then it took a long time for any cat associations to recognize the new breed.  Finally, in 1970, the Cat Fanciers Association accepted the Bombay for registration.  Then Ms. Horner had to form at least one breed club and register 100 examples of Bombays.  On May 1, 1976, cats in this breed could finally start competing in Championship classes.












The Bombay is a medium-sized cat whose body is stocky and compact.  Males weigh more than 12 pounds, and females weigh between 8 and 12 pounds.  Everything about the Bombay is round.  Its head is round; the tips of its ears are round; and the eyes, chin, and feet also have a roundish shape.  The coat is sleek, glossy, and black all the way to the roots.  The Bombay's eyes are gold or copper.




If you are looking for a very social cat who likes to snuggle, then you might want to get a Bombay.  These cats love people and are always asking for attention.  They are intelligent and very playful.  They are not as talkative as the Oriental breeds such as Siamese, but on a YouTube video I watched, the person said that Bombays like "to conversate."  I had never heard this word before, and Mom said there was a very good reason for that, but she did not explain what the reason was.



Latifa
We used to think that my kitty sister, Latifa was at least part Bombay, but now that I have learned all about the breed, I don't think she is a Bombay after all because (1) she is too slender and small, (2) she does not have all those round body parts, such as chin and ears, and (3) she has a white spot on her chest , which Bombays are not supposed to have.  She does like to purr and make little trilling sounds to Mom, but I am not sure if this qualifies as "conversating."  She really, really likes to snuggle with Mom, but she doesn't snuggle with us dogs or even with the other cats.  At least she and Jason have stopped getting into squabbles all the time, so that's good!

5 comments:

  1. Latifa sounds at least part Bombay. She may be a mix. Bombays are very selective cats and commonly choose only one person to be around. They don't interact with other animals often and tend to keep to themselves. My Bombay also got annoyed when other animals tried to interact with me, it was kind of funny. She might be a very similar or close mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Your description of your Bombay cat sounds a lot like Latifa, so maybe she really is at least part Bombay. Mom seems to like her a lot, but I'm not sure why, when there are all of us adorable chihuahuas around!

      Anyway, thanks for writing a comment on my blog.

      Sincerely, Dorrie

      Delete
  2. Hello friend: I've been visiting your blog and I found "great", with good data.

    I would like to share with you and your readers more interesting information about the Bombay cat breed.

    I hope you like my space "Dogs and Cats" and leave me a comment if you fancy.

    Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm looking for a Bombay kitten. I'm in RI. I've spoken with many breeders. I'm on one list. They're charging me $925. Do you have any recommendations for some breeders who may not be online with available kittens for xmas time for this price or lower?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I'm looking for a Bombay kitten. I'm in RI. I've spoken with many breeders. I'm on one list. They're charging me $925. Do you have any recommendations for some breeders who may not be online with available kittens for xmas time for this price or lower?

    ReplyDelete