Wednesday, January 29, 2014

PIPER WENT TO THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

Hi, this is Dorrie, the chihuahua.  I have some very sad news for you, which is that Piper had to leave yesterday and go to the Rainbow Bridge.  We kind of thought she might have to go there one of these days, but we didn't think it would be yesterday.  Piper was feeling really lousy, though, and there wasn't any way to make her all better again, so Mom decided to let Piper go ahead and go.

Piper and I posed for this picture last August
in a fancy photography studio.

Maybe you will remember that Piper got pretty sick a few weeks ago, and she had to stay in the hospital for two days.  The doctors said she had pulmonary hypertension, which makes it so that your heart can't get enough blood pumped into your lungs.  After this diagnosis, Mom had to buy a whole bunch of expensive medicine for Piper  But it was worth it because taking the meds made Piper feel better.

Then Piper had a test for her Cushing's Disease, and it showed that her cortisol levels were all screwy.  So the internist, Dr. Grigsby, decided to put Piper on a different medicine for Cushing's.  She told Mom to watch for side effects and to call if any showed up.

Here's Piper yesterday, waiting to go to the Rainbow Bridge.

That was on Friday, and on Sunday night while we were sleeping, Piper made a loud BAROO! sound like basenjis do sometimes, and Mom rushed downstairs to let Piper outside.  Anyway, Piper kept having diarrhea after that, which was one of the side effects Mom was supposed to watch for.  So she called Dr. Grigsby's office on Monday.  But that was Dr. Grigsby's day off, so the nurse said just to stop giving Piper the medicine, and Dr. Grigsby would call on Tuesday.

What ended up happening yesterday was that Mom took Piper over to the hospital, and they kept her most of the day.  Dr. Grigsby said she couldn't get the diarrhea to stop, and she thought maybe it wasn't even because of the medicine.  Mom talked to both Dr. Grigsby and Dr. Patricia about maybe putting Piper to sleep, and they both said they wouldn't blame Mom if she decided it was time to do that.  Dr. Patricia said that Piper's body was sort of "unraveling," which you might call ironic, because "unraveling" was what Piper liked to do to dog beds and toys and stuff like that.

Originally, we thought Piper would be able to write a goodbye entry in her blog, but that didn't happen.  Anyway, Piper told me yesterday morning that, in case she didn't come home again, I should thank all her faithful readers for being so faithful.  And she said that people should keep on reading her blog, even if it wasn't quite as good as when a basenji was writing it.  Also, she added that if her readers didn't keep reading the blog, she would find a way to come back from the Rainbow Bridge and bite them on the ankle.  I believe she was quite serious about this.


Piper also told me that after she arrived at the Rainbow Bridge, she would feel all young and happy and full of energy again.  She would be able to run and play and wrestle with the other dogs, just like she did when she was a puppy.  She would see Gabe and Nicky and Mel again, and she would meet lots of other wonderful dogs.  And best of all, she could eat all the cicadas and blankets she wanted to without getting sick!

10 comments:

  1. we are very, very sad in this house to read about Piper's passing. It is difficult to loose such a good dog, but we will always be glad that we were able to be friends and get to know each other because of her blog.

    -Zest and her mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bo, Petey and I are so very sorry. We'll be thinking of you.

    Isadora Kerwhizzer Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sympathy.
      Sincerely, Dorrie

      Delete
  3. Mom & I are very sad that Piper isn't with us anymore but very, very happy that she is in heaven and having the time of her life! We are thankful that Dorrie wants to keep Piper's blog going and look forward to seeing what she has to say! Pepi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pepi,
      Thanks for writing to say you are sad about Piper's going to heaven. I like to think about her having lots of fun there while I am working hard here to write her blog. But maybe someday I will be a famous blogger like she was!
      Dorrie

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about Piper going to the bridge. I have a little saying that helped me a bit when I lost my B-boy "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" Once again so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good saying. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to remember it whenever I feel sad.
      Sincerely, Dorrie

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. We lost my sister over the summer, and it was the hardest thing for me, and then mom got a new puppy and that was hard too, though I love him now. Annie never met Piper in life, but I am sure she is happy to share a moment with her at the bridge. -Lia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lia,
      I think Piper and Annie are having a great time together at the Bridge. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to your sister, like I did to mine, but it's good that you like your new brother. I like mine, too. His name is Tristan. I already had him before Piper went away, so that helped a lot.
      Your friend, Dorrie

      Delete