Sunday, July 6, 2014

AUNT CHERYL IS HERE VISITING US!

I know that I have been a bad blogger because of not having written any entries for a long time.  But the truth is that it's very hard to find time for blogging while I am spending so much time and energy trying to be a charming hostess!


Aunt Cheryl got here a week ago Monday, and she and Mom have been out doing important stuff such as shopping in thrift stores and antique malls.  Also, they went to a garden center and bought some plants. One day they went to Loose Park and spent a couple of hours pulling weeds in the hardy garden that the cactus club made last year.  And they planted a few new cacti and succulents while they were there.


At the antique mall, Mom saw a picture of some dogs, but she didn't buy it, which I think is very sad.  The more dogs you can have on your walls, the better.  At least that's my philosophy.



Here's Aunt Cheryl shopping at the antique mall.  She is mostly looking for metal souvenir buildings, because that's what she has been collecting lately.  They're hard to find, and if she does find them, they are sometimes really expensive, so she doesn't buy them.


On the day before the Fourth of July, which was the third of July, Mom and Aunt Cheryl went to Powell Gardens.  The weather was very nice, and not too hot, so they walked around quite a bit.  I wish I could have gone, but dogs are not allowed there.  I think they should at least let girl dogs go to the Gardens, because girl dogs would not lift their legs and pee on all the pretty flowers.  But that is just my opinion.

Here are some coneflowers, which grow wild on the tall-grass prairies.  You might have heard them called echinacea.  Some people think echinacea can cure the common cold and maybe also cancer, but there is no proof that this is true.



There were lots of pretty water lilies.


Also, there were some hydrangeas with huge, white blooms like snowballs, but not as cold.


And no prairie would be complete without a bison or two.  This one was only maybe half as big as a real bison.  I showed you pictures before from when Mom went out to Powell Gardens and saw the animal sculptures before most of them got set up.  But now they are all installed, and they will be there until sometime in the fall.


Okay, well, that is about all I can tell you right now.  Yesterday Mom and Aunt Cheryl and Aunt LaDene went antiquing again.  Aunt LaDene bought some earrings, and Aunt Cheryl found a few more souvenir buildings to buy.  Mom got a couple of old-time photos.  Later I will do a blog entry about Mom's antique photos.

3 comments:

  1. The purple coneflower, in my yard, is the tallest I have ever seen it - Reaching its limit of 5 ft tall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coneflowers seem to be doing really well this year. Haven't heard of any five feet tall, though. That's pretty amazing!

      Delete
  2. My thoughts exactly. They're doing extremely well this year. Strangely, I can't remember if I planted white coneflowers. But white appeared this year.

    ReplyDelete