Saturday, February 28, 2015

CLUN FOREST SHEEP

Clun Forest Sheep Ewe
 Wikipedia

Well, since it's the Year of the Sheep, I thought I had better get busy writing about some sheep.  I actually thought there wouldn't be much to write about, because how many kinds of sheep could there be?  You've got your white sheep, your black sheep, your white sheep with black faces, and maybe some spotted sheep.  And then there a few goats, like those cute little pygmy goats, for example.

So imagine my total shock when I looked up "sheep breeds" and found out that there are hundreds of them!  And not only that, I haven't really heard of any of them!  Which I guess means that it will be a busy Year of the Ram after all!







The County of Shropshire
Wikipedia


Anyway, I decided to start with some of those English sheep that have the black faces, because I think they are really cool-looking.  So I scrolled through the list of sheep breeds until I found just what I was looking for.  There may be other breeds that fit the same description, but the one I'm going to tell you about today is the Clun Forest Sheep.  ("Clun" rhymes with "sun," in case you were wondering.)

The Clun Forest is in the county of Shropshire, which is right nextdoor to Wales.  It is a rural area, and it has lots of open pastures and moorlands, besides actually having some woodlands.  Once upon a time, there was a much thicker forest in the Clun River Valley, but there aren't so many trees now.







http://www.threewillowsranch.com/clun_forest_sheep.html



Clun Forest sheep are similar to other breeds of British Upland sheep.  They are hardy, good at finding plenty of forage to eat, and they live a long time.  The ewes give birth easily, and almost always have twins.  The wool on these sheep is medium in length and is suitable for handspinning.  Besides being raised for their wool, Cluns are also kept for meat and for milk.






U.K. Clun ewes imported to the Netherlands
Wikipedia

The ancestors of this breed go back a long way and are shared with other Upland breeds along the Welsh-English border.  When the Clun Forest sheep were first mentioned in writing, early in the 1800s, they were described as having white faces.  But this changed when they were crossed with some dark-faced breeds.  In 1925, The Clun Forest Sheep Breeders Society was formed in Great Britain.  They soon established a pedigree standard and started having sheep shows.

After World War II, and until the 1970s, the Clun became a very popular breed.  In fact, it was the third most popular purebred sheep in the U.K.  Breeders sold over a thousand sheep a year, with flocks being established in eastern England, Scotland, and Ireland.




Cluns from the Court Llacca Flock in Wales
Wikipedia

In 1970, a man named Tony Turner imported 2 Clun rams and 39 ewes to the U.S.  The North American Clun Forest Association (NACFA) was founded in 1974.  A few more sheep were imported in the late 1970s and mid-1980s, but after that, U.S. and Canadian borders were closed to live sheep imports.  However, semen from some of the top rams in the U.K. and the Netherlands was imported in the mid-2000s.








http://www.threewillowsranch.com/clun_forest_sheep.html

Clun Forest Sheep have a powerful build.  Their upright ears make the sheep look alert and intelligent, as if they as just waiting for you to say something profound.  The lambs grow quickly because of the high butterfat content of the mothers' milk.  By the age of 7 or 8 months, they can reach a market weight of 100 lbs., eating only grass.  The meat has a lean and mild flavor.  The rich milk makes good cheese.













http://www.clunforestsheep.org/

Well, writing about all this yummy mutton and cheese is making me hungry.  I know that some of my faithful readers will be horrified to think that I would want to eat a cute, fluffy lamb, but the fact is that there is lots of dog food out there on the market that has lamb in it.  I have eaten some of it, and I have liked it.  Also, a lot of people eat lamb, too, but Mom doesn't because she is being a vegetarian now.

Okay, so that's the first sheep breed in the Year of the Sheep.  I think I am going to learn a lot about sheep before the year is over, and probably about goats, too.






6 comments:

  1. Dear Dorrie,

    I enjoyed reading about your Clun sheep today. However, I think these are my favorite sheep:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2687667/Scottish-farmer-spent-5-000-CCTV-protect-new-flock-worlds-cutest-sheep-didnt-stop-stealing-faces.html

    --Zest! who has a very important dance recital today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Zest!
      The sheep in this article are totally adorable! I will have to write about them sometime. They remind me of those Scottish cows that have a lot of hair hanging down in their eyes, kind of like an Old English Sheep Dog. I will write about them (the cows), too, but probably not until the Year of the Ox.
      Dance recital??? Are you learning to do those fancy dance routines with your mom?
      Dorrie

      Delete
  2. Las ovejas son unos animales muy nobles y muy útiles, nos dan su leche, su carne y su lana, pero a pesar de todo eso, pasan por la vida sin que nadie les preste mucha atención. Gracias a ti hoy he aprendido algo más de ellas.
    Un abrazo desde España

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias por tu comentario, ¡y por el abrazo también!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Dorrie, I am so talented my mom has difficulty keeping up with me you know. I enjoy pushing her to her limits. I look forward to your blogs on sheep and cows. Perhaps you could include a recipe? (Mom says I should not have said that, but all this talk of sheep and steak has made me hungry.)

    --Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely impressed that you have become a dancing dog! Will you be entering any competitions and adding more titles to your name? I can dance around on my hind legs when I am waiting for Mom to give us dogs treats. My brothers cannot do this, which means I am more clever than they are -- probably because I am a girl!

      I think I will get very hungry after writing about all the mutton and goat meat this year. Next year is the Year of the Monkey, and I don't know if I like the taste of monkey meat or not, but I do know that some people eat it.

      Delete