The camp was located on 10,699 acres of land in northwest Waco, and it was named for General Arthur MacArthur, Jr. on July 18, 1917. Construction began on July 20, 1917, and the camp cost $5 million to build. In September of that same year, 18,000 soldiers from Michigan and Wisconsin arrived. The camp had an officers' training school, demobilization facility, infantry replacement and training camp, hospital, administrative offices, and a tent camp.
Between 1917 and 1919, 45,074 troops were stationed in Waco. The 32nd (Red Arrow) Division based at Camp MacArthur took part in combat in France in 1918. On March 7, 1919, the camp closed, and the land became part of the city.
This next postcard shows a very popular attraction in Kansas City known as Electric Park. It was built by Joseph Heim, who was president of the Heim Brothers Brewery. His brothers, Michael and Ferdinand Jr. ran the park.
The second park, like the first one, was easy to get to on the city railway. In 1911, it attracted one million people, with an average of 8,000 paying customers per day. The park featured band concerts, vaudeville, a natatorium, an alligator farm, a German village, chutes, a roller coaster, penny parlors, boat tours, ice cream shops, a shooting gallery, outdoor swimming, a carousel, clubhouse cafe, 5-cent theater, and many other things.
Walt Disney and his little sister used to visit the park often when they were children. Many of its features inspired Disney when he was later planning Disneyland.
In 1925, Electric Park caught fire, and much of it was destroyed. In spite of this, the park's theater and aquarium stayed open the rest of the season. The Heim family decided to sell the land, so on September 1, the park closed with a huge fireworks display.
In the next postcard, we can see The Thornton & Minor Sanitarium at its 10th and McGee St. location. This medical facility was limited to "the special treatment of Piles, Fistula & Diseases of the Rectum & Pelvis including Rupture and Diseases of Women."
The clinic was started by Dr. T.W. Thornton in 1877 and was located in a small building at 111 W. 10th St. Dr. W.E. Minor joined the practice in 1885. The organization moved twice before reaching its final home on the corner of Linwood Boulevard and Harrison St. By this time, more than 65,000 people had received treatment.
In 1957, the Thornton & Minor hospital merged its facilities with the McCleary clinic and moved to Excelsior Springs. Their Kansas City building became the regional office facility for the Veterans Administration.
This is a flour mill owned by the Central Kansas Milling Company. I couldn't find out much about them or about Gold Bond Flour. The company might have been located in Wichita, but maybe not. Anyway, Gold Bond Flour is not the same thing as Gold Medal Flour, which is made in Minnesota.